Wednesday 16 April 2014

Make Your Own Marinara Sauce

Ideally my homemade marinara sauce would be made in season from a glut of home grown tomatoes but we just do not get the climate to encourage a bumper tomato crop so cheap Lidl cherry tomatoes it is.

First I drizzled olive oil and balsamic vinegar over a head of garlic split into cloves, a large onion and 1.5 kg of cherry tomatoes. I added a pinch of sea salt, sugar and dried oregano plus some fresh basil and oven roasted the whole lot at gas 4 for about 45 minutes.




The roasted veg were blended until liquid, but still lumpy, and married with meatballs and spaghetti for a hearty meal.


This sauce will freeze well. I just cooled and poured into a zip lock freezer bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!