Wednesday 23 July 2014

My Garden: 23rd June

I am trying my hand at jalapenos this year. Below are three plants that have been sitting inside my kitchen window since some time in June (cannot find a record of planting date). It's definitely time to give them a new home.




The moment they are moved into new 5" pots, I realise how cramped they must have been in a single cherry tomato pot!




My deficient in everything broad bean plant produced a fresh shoot some time ago and finally gave me some beans. I'll take two plump pods over nothing.




Recently I put tin foil around the base of my brassicas, which I read is to deter slugs who do not like the texture. THEY LOVE IT! They love it, the slimy bastards. I recently moved four plants to where my garlic had been lifted. They have been decimated and when I invested I found masses of slugs neatly sleeping inside the foil. For too long I had not the heart to kill them, and simply threw them in the back corner of the garden, in the grass clippings heap, but no more mercy. The smaller ones I squashed on a concrete block, the larger ones were thrown into a bucket of water. Not fool proof apparently as a load of them are climbing back out! They can move a lot faster than I'd anticipated too.




The only thing for it is to get chickens. Chickens love to eat slugs. And I love to eat eggs. Soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!