Friday 22 August 2014

My Garden: 11th August 2014

If I ever forget the beautiful weather of 2014, this blog will be a sure reminder. And I ask myself, why haven't we installed an outdoor tap yet? The only good thing about relying on a watering can is that I make sure to empty all my waste water into it. Still though, my plants are definitely under-watered. I don't currently mulch for fear of creating a haven for slugs but talented gardeners would insist it is essential. Next year will be my year for mulching - and it'll probably be a wash out!

My tomatoes came on in leaps and bounds from the scraggly beginnings:




That first blush of red is exciting:




I am growing borlotti beans this year. It's a venture into the unknown, however timid:




It's not the best photo of the borlotti flowers. I wish I had captured them at their best because the delicate pink and white blooms are beautiful:




My remaining beets are big!






New generation of carrots and beetroot that were planted in July. I hope it's not too late in the season.




One of my carrots is sitting too high up and has gone a funny colour. Happy to say I ate it and it tasted lovely.




I was too cocky and uncovered my brassicas weeks back to make it easier to weed and because it looked better. Well I under estimated the prowess of the white butterfly because I've been inundated with caterpillars. I re-covered them and rid myself of the green pests many times a day.




Sweet peas peak out among the mangetout:



My leeks are gaining girth but they still have a long growing season ahead of them. And I need to weed that patch!




I ate the first cut of my broccoli, which was divine, but was sorely disappointed by the speed of regrowth. A closer look and I found horrible black aphids on it, plus some hungry caterpillars. I've sprayed it with a mix of water, garlic and ginger and also spotted a ladybird (predator of the aphid) on the plant so hopefully I'll see progress.




I am growing jalapeƱo peppers outdoors as an experiment. They have received plenty of warm sunshine in a south facing position so hopefully we might get a few little peppers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!