Monday 9 March 2015

I Finally Employed A Gardening Apprentice



One of my proudest moments this year was seeing my toddler try out his new pair of wellies for the first time. During the summer, he would crawl around the grass barefooted but the winter has been an awkward time with a newly walking child. He has a great waterproof suit (bought in Lidl a few years ago and passed down to us from my sister) but was not ready for shoes until recently, although I do admit that I let him ruin his soft pre-walker shoes a few times in the wet grass.
 
This week I unleashed the beast into the wild [garden] fully suited and booted to get messy and wet. I think we've rummaged around every corner and puddle at this stage. I never knew so much pleasure could be got from dipping ones fingers in the water that collects on the lid of a bucket.  Another favourite game is to carry the biggest lump of coal we can find in our hands as we explore. And even when we fall down, the lump of coal cannot be dropped!
 
I look forward to teaching my son about gardening and hopefully in the near future I can post some useful advice on gardening with toddlers. He has already experienced the joy of growing your own food - last summer he would crawl to my tomatoes and devour the fruit straight from the plant. This year he might be able to help me pinch out the side shoots!
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!