Monday 20 April 2015

Horror

I'm not at home and I have just realised that I left some jalapeno pepper and Moneymaker tomato seedlings outside all night. I only took them outside because I was moving stronger tomato seedlings from the same tray into larger pots - which I thankfully moved back inside. They were only innocent bystanders! They are on the top shelf of a small plastic greenhouse, against a fence, with the door open. Ahhhh. They have some shelter from a nearby shed. Yesterday was much colder than it has been recently. Oh please don't have perished!

The only thing comforting me right now is that I have just listened to an episode of Gardener's Question Time where Geoff Jenkins, former head of climate change at The Met Office, gives feedback from his studies in his own back garden showing an increase of a few degrees between conditions on the ground, and a few feet above the ground, the latter being warmer.

It will be a long six hours before I get back home!

....

Update!

I got home, incoherently grunted at my family and rushed out to the back garden with a manic urgency. Quickly, I realised that I had left the seedlings on the bottom, ground level shelf. Ahhh less degrees! Well my moneymaker seedlings were fine but three of my precious four jalapeno pepper seedlings were missing their tops. Rabbit! Or maybe it was slugs. I'll never know. Now I have one miracle seedling left that I must guard with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!