Tuesday 1 September 2015

Growing Broccoli as a Perennial Vegetable


This is purple sprouting broccoli (PSB), planted April last year, which finished in March of this year. I left it in the ground in the hope of saving my seed but when I noticed green growth re-appearing, I decided to try to get a second year's crop from the plant. I didn't give the broccoli any protection over winter, it being a hardy plant, so there really was no work involved in prolonging its life. Aphids are a possible problem, and some of my other brassicas fell victim to them, but this plant escaped which is why it is looking so healthy. At the moment, I am being vigilant about checking for eggs lain by the cabbage white butterfly, which will hatch into hungry caterpillars. These bright yellow eggs are easily spotted on the underside of the leaves, and easily squished! I have an in-depth post about identifying and preventing caterpillar attacks here.

After reading that brassicas are notorious for cross pollinating, and having had brussels sprouts and cauliflowers in the same area, I decided not to save the seed but feel even more excited about the prospect of getting more broccoli. If you have been following my posts, you'll have noticed that PSB was the highlight of my last veg crop and we were eating it for the first few months of the year. Each plant will give you three cuts and it is excellent for freezing. 

I have four new plants that I sowed in April of this year, and if they are all successful, I will have a nice bounty of broccoli again early next year.




Similarly, one of my last year's brussels sprouts plant has healthy re-growth so I am leaving that in the ground also in the hope of winning the double.


I'll update this post in a few months with some new photographs. Hopefully this is the first step in establishing some perennial vegetables in my garden.



*Update*

I'm updating this years too late and without photos but I had totally forgotten about this post until a commentator reminded me. I got a nice crop in year two. Smaller, firmer and more purple heads. I pulled out the plant after the second crop as it was looking haggard but I must try again and go for a third year.

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful.I wonder the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally forgot to update this post but yes I got a lovely crop the second year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about year 3,did you try?
    I am very interested in giant perrenial vegetables.I also did some test for example pepper plant year 5 i have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't leave it for the third year but I'm trying to remember why. I think the plant had gotten quite raggedy looking and I was conscious of crop rotation, but you have got me interested in trying again.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!