Saturday 4 June 2016

My Garden: 4th June 2016

The weather is scorching and life is good. We are so spending most of our free time in the garden. The sunshine makes everything so much easier.

Our next main crop is broad beans. We've eaten some young pods steamed and they were delicious but I prefer to let the beans mature. They're not quite ready but I couldn't wait so I picked the fattest ones today.



Last year most of the pods were half empty so I was delighted to find that every pod was full of beans. I think this means pollination was successful. They are still on the small side but that's nothing that time won't fix. Yum yum.




In the flower kingdom, my beloved lupines are being ravished by slugs but thankfully flower spikes are pushing through.





Isn't this cute? I bought the ornament for the fish tank but it was too large:



Keeping thirsty plants like courgettes and tomatoes happy, when they are in containers, can be difficult. I'm planning to move some of them into beds but for the ones that do stay in pots, I've made a simple self watering system using an empty bottle:





I bored holes in the cap of the bottle and cut the base off. By keeping it topped up with water, it will keep the soil moist by gradually leaching in. It's a great reminder to add water when you see the empty bottle, rather than having to check the soil.


Problems in the garden include bolting spinach but that's the price for sunny weather and bad germination with my carrots and leeks.


That's all for now folks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!