Thursday 24 October 2013

I Could Not Live Without My: Nursing Pillow




Since having my first baby two weeks ago, my life has been made infinitely easier by the addition of a nursing pillow, so much so that I bought a second one. And nursing is only one of the tasks it makes easier. In fact, as I type this post with one hand, baby is lying across the pillow [which is wrapped around my stomach] having his lunch and I only need one hand to support his head - sometimes, depending on my sitting position, I need not use any hands and baby can comfortably feed as the pillow provides ample support.


Other wonderful uses I've found for the pillow are:


1. Sitting on





Comfortable for everyone but especially to relieve pressure from post-labour stitches. This is the reason to own two pillows. It's easily portable to every chair/room in the house.


2. Allowing a young baby to nap safely outside a cot/crib





Any parent with a newborn knows that every nap is to be appreciated and a nursing pillow can be used to ensure baby can nap comfortably and safely. The sides cocoon the baby so it cannot roll over and it can turn a couch in to a baby bed instantly. Also if the baby falls asleep nursing and you don't want to disturb him, you'll find it quite easy to use the time constructively by reading your book/knitting/watching a movie/anything that can be done sitting down as you have two hands free.

3. Propping up baby

I haven't taken a photo to illustrate but for tummy time in the earlier stages. simply turn baby over on his stomach and use the pillow to help him prop up. You can also lie him on his back and support his head in the centre of the crescent for playing and talking to!

So even if you are bottle feeding your baby, don't overlook what a nursing pillow can do for you. They are wonderful creations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!