Thursday 3 October 2013

Rhubarb Scones




These easy scones are so moist from the rhubarb that they can be eaten without adding butter and jam. I've made them with fresh and frozen rhubarb. The fresh definitely works better as frozen rhubarb can be quite soggy once defrosted, but either way still tastes good.

I usually freeze most of the batch and take one out the night before. I find they actually taste better after a spell in the freezer.

Ingredients [makes about 12 medium sized scones]



  • 4 stalks rhubarb
  • 320g plain white flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 100g butter
  • 100 granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 250ml cream


Method


Preheat the oven to Gas 7/425F/220C

Slice rhubarb into small chunks and toss in a bowl with the sugar
Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl
Rub in the butter [I grate it in using a cheese grater and then use my finger tips to mix]
Mix in the rhubarb
Mix the cream and vanilla essence, add to the dough and mix using hands [quite messy] or a fork until you have a nice soft dough
Shape into scones and place on a lined baking tray








Bake for twenty minutes, allow to cool slightly and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have just made them! I tweaked the recipe a bit. I turned the oven down to 200C, and used more buttermilk than cream, as this is all I had (about 2 parts buttermilk and 1 part cream). I used self raising flour and no baking powder. They are nice, and quite different!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!