Thursday 13 March 2014

Bringing Life To A Tasteless Strawberry

It's March and it's sunny and I have a tub of delicious vanilla ice cream in the freezer that is all alone. It needs a berry friend. Strawberries, considered the king of berries by many, have always left me disappointed. They look beautiful and promising but too often a bite into that ruby fruit leads to a watery and tasteless experience. Or maybe that's just the supermarket selection. I have enjoyed a punnet of Wexford strawberries in season from a seller on the side of the road. But my choice in March hails from Spain and the taste leaves me wanting. So no better time than to try out something I've heard a lot about - strawberries marinaded in balsamic vinegar. 

Could this crazy concoction work or would it just lead to bitter, soggy fruit? No, my friends, no. I am glad to say that this method of serving strawberries is a winner and adds a sweetness to the fruit that was not there before (well there is sugar in the recipe but the vinegar adds a syrupy quality and the pepper gives it an edge).



Ingredients


Strawberries

Balsamic vinegar

Sugar

Black pepper

Measurements are to taste



Method


Slice the strawberries, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with sugar.

Cover and leave to sit for an hour.

Before serving, give a twist of black pepper.



Strawberries meet ice cream.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!