Wednesday 8 July 2015

My Garden: 7th July 2015


I picked up a Phlox plant at a sale back in March. The variety wasn't labeled but as it is becoming a tall plant, I am assuming it is the common variety Phlox Paniculata. Mine has yet to flower but when it does I imagine [hope] it will look something like this:

Phlox Paniculata.jpg
"Phlox Paniculata" by Atilin - Own work. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons.


Mine is looking much more under-whelming at the moment, but still healthy:




Flower buds are starting to appear. I am afraid to put it in the ground incase my rabbit eats it.




Lots of little plants have sprung up around mother plant so today I have taken cuttings and potted them on. I cut away the baby plants trying to preserve some roots and have planted them in pots of seed compost. Some of the cuttings had no roots attached so remembering something I read somewhere on the Internet, I applied honey to the cut end, to act as a natural rooting hormone. We'll see about that! I stripped off the lower leaves and covered the pot with a plastic bag.




They are sitting in my greenhouse at the moment. Tomorrow I think I'll cut a corner off the bags as the conditions might be too humid. I will know they have rooted when there is new growth but I suppose if they aren't limp looking in a week's time, things are looking good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!