Monday 20 January 2014

Sweet Potato Waffles




A waffle maker is not something I ever envisioned myself desiring but after one too many gluttonous visits to my sister's house where plates of homemade muffins and waffles are always at hand, suddenly I could no longer live without one. I started off timidly with a basic plain batter but having gotten to know the correct measurements to suit my machine and learning to gauge the temperature correctly, I'm ready to up the ante and get experimental so I'm beginning with the following recipe. 






This recipe is adapted from the Weelicious pumpkin waffles. On the smart suggestion by my sister, sweet potato is substituted for the pumpkin, which is not readily available in Ireland. The measurements are in American cups. You can get a really handy set of cup measures in a jug in Deals for €1.49

Ingredients





  • 2.5 cups plain white flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 4 eggs beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 6 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 cup sweet potato puree (I made this by boiling sweet potato chunks in water until soft and then blending - you can make a large batch and freeze portions for later use)


Method


Preheat your waffle iron to a medium heat.

Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger together and add the sugar. Mix with a whisk.

Mix the remaining ingredients together and add to the dry ingredients, whisking slowly.





I used 1/3 cup measure per waffle.


Cook for about 3 minutes.




I politely ate one with honey and then devoured three with my bare hands. The waffles stand alone without the honey or any other condiment as they are just sweet enough.




Verdict? Addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!