Thursday 30 January 2014

The Irish Winter Landscape

The days may seem too short but winter in Ireland bestows on us some of the clearest, sunniest, heavenly days of our climate. These are the days I choose to remember and this year I have visited some beautiful local spots.

1. Charles Fort, Kinsale


The views from inside and outside the fort are one of my favourite in the Cork county. Even if you choose not to go inside, there is plenty to enjoy if you want to just stop your car at the side of the road for a few minutes. Note the bird of prey just over the low clouds on the right hand side.




From the busy front promenade in Kinsale town, there are some peaceful water views.





2. The Owenabue River, Carrigaline


Just ten minutes walk from my house, this river has a wonderful desolate poetic bleakness on a dark winter's day.





3. Ringaskiddy


Ten minutes drive down the road brings me to Ringaskiddy, which I think is a harmonious meeting of industry and nature (aesthetically anyway, local cancer rates might say different...). Boat yards and industry adorns the shore line, which opens out into Cork Harbour. It's a great place for a walk, but watch don't you fall down one of those giant rabbit holes.



4. Killarney National Park


Whether you desire a short stroll or a day-long hike, the area covered by Killarney National Park abounds in natural beauty including sights like Torc Waterfall and the lakes (below).

 


For a tamer, more manicured walk, explore the gardens of Muckross House with their pretty features including the Stream Garden.




1 comment:

  1. Great blog I must say and I really enjoyed the content which provided me nice knowledge.Thanks for sharing it.
    dissertation assistance

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!