Sunday 2 February 2014

My Garden: 2nd February 2014

This time last year I was in the throes of morning sickness and was a late comer to the planting season. I caught up a bit and my fabulous broad bean crop that I had planted the October previous saved my garden from being a total den of misery but my tomato plants and expensive F1 chili jalapeno seeds never recovered.


I made rookie mistakes:

1. I planted my seeds too late.

2. I let the compost dry out so it formed a clump of soil and subsequent watering could not penetrate the crust.


This year I am on form and today I got an early start on my tomatoes - the old fashioned Moneymaker breed - and I am determined to do it right.

I diligently rinsed out my pots, chose good compost, planted two seeds to every pot and in the absence of a sieve, used my fingers to break up the compost into fine particles to cover the seeds.

Each pot was labeled and covered with a plastic sandwich bag to maintain humidity and inhibit the soil from drying out. The bags were perforated to prevent rotting. They were then placed on a south-facing window sill.

Now rise my pretties, RISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!