Wednesday 18 June 2014

My Garden: 18th June 2014

A belter of a heatwave has been bestowed upon us, temperatures well into the twenties each day, and it is magical to witness the garden thrive in the presence of such sunshine. We are spending most of our days in the garden, eating our meals there, lying on the grass and eating straight from the plants. Life is sweet.



 

This year I planted some broad bean plants beside my garlic, since learning that they are not recommended companions. Well I cannot complain at face value as my plants are bursting with pods, while another two broad bean plants in another area of the garden, in a bed of their own, are looking miserable with tatty pods. I hope pairing beans with alliums does not have an adverse effect on taste because it certainly doesn't seem to be reducing my yield.



Ah the humble mange tout, one of the first treats each season and this year my eight month old baby had dibs on the first pod. The crunch of green between tiny teeth brought smiles of glee to his face, and filled me with warmth and pride.






My various brassica plants have taken off since moving from pot to bed. The netting is to protect from birds and the cabbage white butterfly (mother of the destructive caterpillar).




I'm proud of my straight lines! Beetroot in the background (don't forget to sample the leaves - a very satisfying salad leaf that brings great colour as well as taste to your plate) and carrots in the foreground. Unless you want minature veg, make sure you have given sufficient space between seedlings. Thinning carrots can attract the carrot fly so try to avoid it. Beetroot seed can be a cluster of a few seeds so even if you have given ample space at sowing time, check again when the seedlings have established as you could have two or three plants develop from the one seed. If this happens, transplant the extra seedlings to a new spot.



A great sign on my weathered tomato plants - flower buds. We will have fruit! These plants were not looking well a few months ago. Two plants cracked in the wind, but I managed to sprout new plants from the remains. When the flowers develop, I will start using tomato feed. Or maybe just comfrey tea, I'm not sure yet. To date, I have given an organic general purpost feed a few times. I have been regularly picking off side shoots also.



A few brassica plants still need to be bedded, and my leeks need some attention. I'll leave that for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!