Monday 1 June 2015

Cleaning with Lemons

Lemons are best used fresh in slices stuck into the neck of a bottle of Miller but for more sober moments, I like to keep a bag of whole lemons in the freezer. I buy them when on offer and just put them in a ziplock bag and into the freezer. To defrost, just put into a cup of boiling water and it'll be ready to use in 15 minutes or so.

I use my defrosted lemons mainly for cleaning surfaces. Simply squeeze the lemon into a plastic container and add warm water. Floating pips for decoration. You could spread out the remains of the lemon and rub directly onto the surface you are cleaning. I cleaned my kitchen work tops and the high chair top with lemon juice and water this morning and they look superb. It leaves a nice neutral smell and it's so much better to prepare food on a surface that you haven't sprayed with a harsh cleaner. I do use disinfectant sprays, mainly around the sink area, but never on the high chair. I don't have any illusions that lemon is a great killer of bacteria so I do take care to use something stronger after dealing with raw meat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!