Monday 9 September 2013

Apple and Cranberry Muffins

I was gifted a muffin recipe book for Christmas and it lay there unloved until recently, when I finally gave it some attention. I had fallen into the bad habit lately of buying a scone for my breakfast at Nash 19 in Cork city, and even though they are one of the best scones I've ever tasted, it was totaling almost €7 a week and was going against my do-it-yourself-as-much-as-possible ethos. So I paid particular attention to the breakfast muffins chapter of the book and tried out the following recipe. The result was a lovely moist and sticky cake that tasted great even after freezing and thawing:

Apple and Cranberry Muffins


image

Ingredients [makes 6 mini loaves]:
1 egg
50g butter melted
100g caster sugar
Grated rind of one large orange
Juice of that orange
140g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/5 tsp grated nutmeg
1/5 tsp ground allspice
Pinch ground ginger
Pinch salt
2 small eating apples peeled, cored and finely chopped
170g cranberries [I used dried]
55g chopped walnuts


Method

Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180/350 and grease and line muffin tin
In a bowl, whisk the egg with the melted butter. Add sugar,orange rind and juice. Whisk to blend and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and spices and salt.
Make a well in centre and add the egg mixture, and softly blend with a spoon.
Add the apples, cranberries and walnuts and mix lightly.


image


Three quarter fill your tins

image


Bake for 30 mins or until golden brown, and leave to cool before removing. Enjoy!


image

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!