Wednesday 25 December 2013

Roasted Rosemary Leg of Lamb

So this was the centrepiece of our Christmas dinner today. We,be been shunning turkey and ham for a few years now. Last year was Beef Wellington with a chestnut, mushroom and streaky bacon filling and the year previous was pork tenderloin stuffed with apple, apricot, spinach and cheddar cheese. Like a lot of people, I was turned off turkey because I found the meat dry. I now know that successful ways of cooking this big bird include brining for twenty four hours beforehand or separating the joints so the legs can be cooked separate from the breast, the latter needing less cooking time. But I am still not persuaded to undergo either task.

My leg of lamb was a lovely four pounder. I think the accompanying strip of meat is the spare ribs which are fatty and delicious.



Before cooking the meat, I infused some olive oil with fresh rosemary and sea salt.



Which I rubbed into the meat prior to cooking




Pre heat the oven to Gas 6\200C\400F. Place a roasting tray with some goose fat on the bottom shelf (this is for the roast spuds you are obviously having).

When the oven is hot, place the meat straight onto the oven shelf above the roasting tin and fill the tin with your peeled spuds - the juices from the meat will drip down into the spuds - yum.

After 20 minutes, reduce the heat to Gas 4\180C\350F.  Cook for another 15 minutes per lb of meat.

The finished piece:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...if only to know that someone is reading this blog!